Sunday, October 23, 2011

The RZA & ATL


my first blog. from a couple years back obvi.

Really, this verse has me busting a gut.
It puts me back to a different time, a long time ago
When I met some far out dudes tellin me this same type of rap
 exerpt:
"We was like Mork and Mindy
Yeah, we was like Mork and Mindy
Yeah n**ga, I told her I was from space and this girl believed me
I told her I was a clone and they was prolly three o me,
We out at the movies,
She could've swore she saw me
 She Just Keep Tellin Me Things That I Don't Wanna Hear"

Song off Blackroc's album and feat. RZA
Around '94 or '95, I had taken a bus down to Atlanta.
The plan was to meet up with my current boy in ATL and hitchhike together to a party in the woods of Florida, otherwise known as a "Rainbow Gathering."

Well, boy was not at bus station to meet up with girl as planned.
The trip started off well, I was at a bus station god knows where, somewhere outside the heart of Atlanta.
It was dark out.
So I decided to play the flute as I walked towards wherever fate may lay a bed in front of me.
I found refuge in a hotel undergoing renovations.
I squatted, alone, in a windowless room
Awaking from my light sleep each time the plastic draped over window cut outs rustled
But the floor was carpeted

At daylight,
I found my way to the Marta station and used my last dollar to get on the train
Directionless, I selected my stop based on word, sound, power
Under Ground Atlanta

I wandered the indoor pedestrian mall, looking for a lead
I found conversation with jewelry maker
We struck a deal, one custom bracelet, for one custom hat.
He chose wools from the colors I had in my bag.
Light blue and magenta
We planned to meet in two days time to make the trade

Two days in Atlanta until I got my magic bracelet
Alchemically designed to match my energy
As I was to stitch star charts made of blue and pink
I had work now and only needed food and shelter until then

A heard a boy singing,
He told me his name was Peacemaker
I told him I had no place to stay
He said, "Come with me."
He sold incense on the train and freestyled as he walked through the cars
He told me his real name was Garnett Silk
And that back on the island, the people knew of him
That when he sang, birds would fly out of the manifold

At his apartment, we ate brown rice and tofu
And his roommate told me I should join the Tabernacle
He gave me his cousin's card; "Images by Shabazz"

While the Peacemaker sang in the shower,
his roommate told me to look out for dragons barely contained in their human disguises
Their fingers would be knobby, he said
And that dragons were not good, like in my fairytales
And also, that I should not go to the "Rainbow Gathering,"
I should make a better choice
Because, since my name was "Bianca,"
There were six of me, five of them clones
He could not be sure if I was the original or the clone
And that my choices would have to be the best of the six
To assure my space on the Mothership

Time to go
Peace took me into his apprenticeship,
We sold incense on trains to the Underground
The hat was completed, woven with star alignments suited for its wearer
My bracelet was a golden bronze, heavy with spirals and a perfect fit
I was ready to go now, to Florida

Peace did not want me to leave
He tried to keep me focused
Weaving my name into his lyrics,
He called me Star
And that I could not call myself Shine
I waited for the train to stop
I jumped on in the other direction
The people on the train had knobby knuckles
How many of them were dragons
Maybe he was right, maybe I should stay...
I went to Florida

Later that year, OutKast dropped their album;
ATLiens
And for years, I wondered

So, I could only laugh when RZA said his girl believed him
when he told her she was a clone
Nervous laughter, because ain't that some shit Alfred?

1 comment:

  1. Well gosh, can I comment on my own blog in saying, the undertone in this story is one of hopefulness in conveying my true story. Illustrating my perspective in clever language.
    Rereading it now, I see how jaded I have become in the last couple of years.
    And darlin, let the true blogging begin.
    Disheveled Prom Queen story number one about the RZA and the GZA, archive.

    ReplyDelete