Sunday, October 23, 2011

My obsession with Oro


The discovery of this video started innocently enough.

You see I live in the gritty city of Philadelphia, quietly wondering why I am here.
For at times, it seems my only purpose in life is to work intensely with the Rick Ross hook
"Evry day I'm hustlin" incessantly looping through my head.

Really now, I'm not that hard.
I am just a first generation Panamanian tryin to represent in the US for my ancestors.
Truth is, I do need bass beats and edgy hip-hop lyrics to keep my muted sorrow at bey.
Because without this, I am just another lost soul burnin in Babylon.

So when a facebook wall post from my cousin in Brazil lead me to the band, Choquibtown, I followed you-tube's recommended videos feed and found the song and video for "Oro," and my world was set on fire.
So many things about this.
Granted, I am a brown skinned gringa, barely able to speak the language of half my family, but from what I gather, the message in this song is powerful, number 1.
"A donde fuiste con mi oro?"/"Where are you going with my gold?"
"Me dejaste sin mi oro"/"You left me without my gold."
"Te ya va te mi oro"/"My gold goes to you"
Number two, the people in this video are Colombians; Colombiano.
this video was filmed in Colombia. You thought is was Africa, right?
Number three: this is the future of hip-hop.
This is a direct result of hip-hop's influence on international culture.
Proof that my idealistic vision that hip-hop will unite the cultures of the world is a true one.
And lastly, is not the imagery in this video, dope, vivid and truly beautiful?
Choquibtown, giving me something valid to obsess over.

No comments:

Post a Comment