Sunday, October 23, 2011

I wanna be Ana Tijoux

A friend and I discovered this song in the same week, which I thought was pretty cool.
Another artist coming from what turns out to be a family friend's label, "Nacional Records."
the group Choquibtown mentioned in the previous blog being the first.

Ana Tijoux was raised in Paris. Her parents refugees of Chile, having fled the country.
My education of the political situation at that time has only been fed to me through a book I happened to be reading when I discovered this song.
the book is entitled, "The Garden Next Door." It is about displaced Chilean writers who fled to Spain in the 1970's unable to live under the regime of the Chilean dictator Pinochet.
The books illustrates the emotions of a displaced people unable to live in the country they love and belong to due to political unrest.
Anita Tijoux painting a similar picture in her debut album title track, "1977."
"Milnovecientosetentasiete." Shh.
Ok, so like.
Time to stop watching the clock as I develop myself as an artist.
This woman is my age!
And so fly.
And this video; so fresh.
her rhyme style, so different.
I love her laid back style.
Don't get it twisted though, my spanish is choppy, but this song is straight political.
Provocative.
She is just now breaking through in the states.
Peep the interview.
She's not freestylin, but God love her.
Hip-hop spreading through the world like wildfire.
Ladies first.

No comments:

Post a Comment