Monday, October 15, 2012

Covered Up with Garden Dirt

It has already been too long since my posting on Hip-Hop in the Woods to have this connection be obvious, but I'm about to lay my opinion on y'alls anyway.
See thing is I've been on a disheveled gripe lately (lately?) about the female presence or lack there of or representation of (6 million ways to die, choose one) in Hip-Hop.

Way too few and far between are the female MC's who succeed in portraying themselves as empowered without coming off dyke-ey (no offense to my women loving mama's) or dumbing themselves down to be accepted as non-threatening among a male dominated genre that will shut a smart talking female down in a heartbeat even if he can't find the one with a fucking metronome.
And thus, with such a shortage of MC's, the female presence in Hip-Hop also extends into vocalists and so creating the category "Hip-Hop Vocalist."
A title Pioneered by none other than the Queen, Mary J Blidge her damn self.
Cuz she surely did't have the time to knock the hustle forreal. And neither do I.

So I don't hate Nicki. I just hate to see a smart woman have to dumb herself down for a dollar.
For a top spot on the charts, I'll thrown in a dick suck too, shit.
All crassness aside, I am going to take the liberty to expand the definition and parameters of the Hip-Hop vocalist as to say, definition: female going in over digitized beat.

And let me quickly give the crown  of Hip-Hop in the Woods 2012 female vocalist to Scout Larue for her vocal on Nicholas Jaar's track Just One Glance, before the hip-hop purists come for me and say this isn't hip-hop. Cuz my only response is, yeah well if this song were to pop off in the woods,
a disheveled prom queen would be right there calling it hip-hop in the woods. Right before some MC tried to start rapping over her and some shit. And I could also see her vocal getting remixed on a hip-hop project like kinda like Wiz Kahlifa did with that McKenzie Eddie shit, so there.

But let me tell you, that sweet country female vocal on Brooker Wood's "No Tresspassing" is a close second. Not sure what I'm talking about? Read the blog. Follow the links, follow the drip, follow the drip...

No comments:

Post a Comment