Wednesday, April 25, 2012

On being a woman in the Music Biz

SO we know that as artists, we are always working.
Opportunities come unexpected.
And as a woman, not too tough on the eyes, I have been made many a promise.
I have been told by a record exec, you know, that girl would have gone a lot further if she just slept with that producer.
I have also been told, "I'm fuckin him, but it's just business."
And so, my motto is...proceed with caution.
I'm like, I'll fuck you after you put me on. Promise.
A good friend of mine gave me this advice, "if he ain't producing out of NY or LA, you probably don't have to fuck him."
These are the obstacles as women in the biz that we are forced to navigate.
And so, let me share this gem of a story with you.

The other night, I dipped into this little club for a minute to support a rapper friend of mine.
Nice gig; hip-hop with a live band.
Afterwards, I am introduced to the booking agent for the club. We're talking about my work.
It's all noisy, so our voices are a bit raised.
And as he's giving me his e-mail address so I can send him my stuff, the DJ cuts out so the whole bar can hear him loudly telling me his e-mail address.
A girl he had been talkin to, says, "Oh. Ok."
And he proceeds to shout to her across the quiet bar,
"It's not like that! It's not like that!"
I'm thinking to myself....well, there's one less guy to be skeptical of in the music industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment